Friday, May 31, 2013

Sisters

Do you have a sister?  I do, but I didn't always.  I find people tend to think that sisters have to be born to the same parents - not so, in my case.  The people who aren't lucky enough to be born into sisterhood sometimes strike it lucky a little down the road when they find their sisters.

I was never one to have oodles and oodles of friends.  My family moved alot and I always made friends easily but then we would move.  My brothers are some of my best friends. But one day, just like in the fairy tales, we finally settled down in a little town where it looked like we wouldn't be moving any more.  It was there that I found my sisters.  We are all very different from one another.  In adolesence and even teenagehood sometimes this caused fights and problems.  Not unlike biological sisters - we squabbled, we annoyed one another but I also knew that no matter what these girls had my back.  I could come to them with any problem and all my secrets and they would listen and help in the best way they knew how.  They were the kind of friends where our parents knew one another and my sister's moms were as likely to give me hell for something as my own mother was.

As we grew up many of them have scattered, travelling the world, pursuing their dream career, experiencing working and living in a foreign country and just generally spreading their wings and living life.  We all still keep in contact, but its never the same as it is in highschool where you see each other every day and know all of their day to day things.  I read, on another blog I follow (http://www.lulabelleblog.com/ ) a quote from the office - "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them." - Andy Bernard.  I couldn't have put it better myself. 

The prompt for this post was a lengthy skype date with one of my sisters.  I miss that girl so much.  ((I miss all of you so much!))  We talked late into the night and I can't wait to hug her in just two months!  Until then I am forever grateful for the many ways there are to connect with one another.  Have a great weekend everybody!

xoxo

~t   

No comments:

Post a Comment