Tuesday, April 30, 2013

3rd time's the charm for this butter-lover

I have made an incredible discovery!

Something I love more than butter.  More than mayonaise. 

What?  I really love butter and mayo so this was an exciting day!  Okay so maybe I didn't discover anything new to the rest of the world but to me it was a big step.  I love the idea of this food item but have never been able to get myself to eat it.

The Avocado.

Yes. Avocado will continue to be capatalized on purpose.  I've bought them before.  Always with the best of intentions.  Oh I'll just let it get ripe and then I'll make guaccamole! {which I've never had or made in my life}  I'll look up recipes that have avacado in them and I'll use it in that.  They are supposed to be sooo good for you - I'd tell myself. Then I'd either forget about it or keep squeezing it never knowing is it soft enough?  Is it too soft now?  Did I wait to long? Then I'd put it back in the fridge and let it go reallly bad and throw it out.  (ugh I shudder at my own wastefulness)

Twice now this cycle has played out.  Today I saw them on sale 5 for $5.  I picked out two one that was clearly too hard to eat and one that felt juuuuust right.  I inwardly cringed at what I was sure was going to happen.  Then I decided, no.  You are going to eat this fruit. (vegetable?  I really don't know.) I went home and did everything I needed to do and started running short on time.  MAKE A SANDWICH! I instructed myself.  USE THE AVOCADO.  Okay. Okay I did it.  I cut into it and all the way around, twisted it and the Avocado popped open, just like it should.  It looked green, slick and buttery.  I popped out the pit and it was shooting across the kitchen.  I cut open a bun, (a whole wheat bun that yours truly hand made yesterday!) sliced 1/4 of the avocado and divided it to cover both sides of the bun.  Then I got really brave and sliced up part of the apple I was already eating.  I dug in the fridge for yesterday's chicken breast from supper and plopped a 1 oz piece right in the middle.  It looked beautiful.  It looked delicious.  I braced myself and took a bite.

I was surprised and delighted.  It was amazing! Better than amazing! It was like I had loaded up my sandwich with butter and mayo!  The buttery-ness, the crisp sweetness of the apple and slight spice of the chicken came together in wonderful harmony.  It was easily one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten and it took less than 5 minutes to make, had 0 preservatives and was full of all natural goodness.  Yes it was 7 points.  The bun was 4, avocado 2 and chicken 1 but wow was it delicious and I feel good about what I ate.  I mean its healthy fat, healthy complex carbs and protein - you can't go wrong!

Now that I've dedicated a whole post to The Avocado.  What's a food you've been afraid to try?  Why?  Did you try it?  Did you love it or hate it?  Will you ever?  I think it's better to try it and spit it out {or in my case scarf it down} than to never try it and always wonder if you like it!

xoxo

~t

No comments:

Post a Comment